We’ve gotten into the habit of reviewing our ended club year in August, just to track our activities. COVID-19 put a damper on many of our usual pursuits, but the club still had an active year. Interested in joining us? Visitors are encouraged to ride out with us a few times to see if our club suits their styles; individual memberships are $15.
We welcomed 18 new or lapsed-and-returning members
The Club participated in Community Activities/Work Parties:
- 15 members trimmed the Tenoroc trails on August 24
- Members worked with SWFWMD on the Hampton Tract’s trail and parking issues; the parking lot has, after many years, been upgraded to a usable surface
- There was a strong turn-out for the annual Friends of Colt Creek public meeting (January)
- We organized and ran Colt Creek State Park’s first “Veterans Day Mounted Scavenger Hunt” on November 9, 2019, which won the Florida State Parks “Outstanding Special Event” in the state.
- 11 members educated an estimated 1800 Polk County 2nd graders about horses at the January 16 “Water Wings & Wild Things” event at Circle B Bar.
- The club supported the Osceola Trail Ride through the purchase of an ad in its program.
- We worked to convince the Lake Louisa State Park manager that the wooden bridge needed to be replaced, and donated funds for materials; 7 members painted a textured surface on the rebuilt bridge in June.
- The club donated 4 gallons each of Simple Green Deck and Fence concentrate to Lake Louisa and Colt Creek State Parks
- Members gave pony rides at:
- Colt Creek’s February 8th “Animal Day”
- Bunch Ranch “Day without Disabilities on March 7
3 of the monthly meetings hosted speakers:
- Detective Jay Scarborough (February) on how to protect our horses & property
- Member Del Jones (May) trailer safety
- Member Janet Del Castillo (July) loading green horses
- Instituted year-round dine-arounds which were well attended pre-pandemic
- Made name badges for all members
- Club campout held at Colt Creek
- Began a club library (Karen Turbeville, librarian)
- Had the club’s first (and second) private cow sorting clinics at JM Farms, Plant City
- Named our first “Trail-Boss-In-Training” (Del Jones)
- Appointed 2 club campout coordinators (Barbara Lassiter & Karen Turbeville)
- Awarded lifetime memberships to Bobby Hancock and Harold Williams
- Increased Facebook followers from 513 on July 30, 2019 to 830 on July 31, 2020.